Friday, October 1, 2010

'Torment' review... WHOA!


Torment
452 pages
Delacorte Press
Lauren Kate
Sequel to 'Fallen'

Lucinda is sure that she and Daniel are meant to be together forever. Now they are forced apart in a desperate bid to save Luce from the Outcasts–immortals who want her dead. As she discovers more about her past lives, Luce starts to suspect that Daniel is hiding something. What if he has lied to her about their shared past? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

Review:
I am just in awe at what this book has added to first novel 'Fallen' Typically I am skeptical about sequels and they often don't live up to the first novel. 'Torment' was just breathtakingly amazing. The love between Lucinda Price and Daniel was even more intense and raw faced with Luce's unsureness about everything as it seems Daniel is withholding so much from her. I have to admit I started to get annoyed- it seemed too often, like a broken record, Luce was pleading for someone to fill her in on some 4-1-1; and yet was shone away from any real answers, everytime- however this left great opportune for the next novel to reveal this very suspense riden secret that will drive me insane to wait until next summer for the third installment 'Passion'.
I appreciate the new scenery, honestly, the relocation of Luce to the California school was a nice transition into a new plot and setting, and of course introducing the intriguing new characters.
Miles, Shelby, Francesca & Steven, Dawn & Jasmine- they were all so different form the students Luce met at Sword & Cross. I especially liked the development of the 'Shadows' or 'Announcers' that haunted Luce since the beginning of this story in 'Fallen' I am glad to see that the autor elaborated on what they are and the abilites of the shadows- this book gave alot of insight to Luce's past which the announcers played a major role in.
The closer Luce and Miles were getting through her stay at Shoreline ( new school in Claifornia) the more I found myself holding my breath- just the thought of Luce second guessing this passionate never ending, undying, tragic love of hers and Daniels, was just heart wrenching.
I was very pleased to see the old gang Arriane, Cam, Molly, Gabbe and Daniel be joined with Luce's new friends at the Thanksgiving dinner that Luce was relieved to be allowed to spend at her parents- might I add where all Hell broke lose- still it was a nice touch that they all showed up unnannouced and were all welcomed.
The fight that ends this story was just crazy- because it takes place at Luce's real home following their Thanksgiving dinner and so much is happening- all are involved new and old friends, angels & nephilim, and mortals. I am sad for the end of this book, because again there is so much unanswered and so much sadness at the end. It leaves me wanting more and hopeful for the next book.
On a final note- I read this book in under 24 hours- I just couldn't put it down (hence the reason for my 2:30 am post!) It truley lives up to it's title
'TORMENT'

No comments:

Post a Comment